Summary of replies to translations questions

Subject: Summary of replies to translations questions
From: Norma Shulman <Norma_Shulman -at- BOSE -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 25 May 1994 15:44:19 -0500

Date 5/25/94
Subject Summary of replies to trans
From Norma Shulman
To techwr-l

In April I asked three questions related to translations of owner's manuals.
Thank you to all who took the time to respond! The following are the questions
asked, summaries of the replies, and some quotes from the replies. I did not
include the sources for all the quotes. Is it a preference of the subscribers
to post summaries with or without names associated with all the replies?

In the course of reviewing our owner's guides development process and format
issues, we are reviewing policy about translations. A single-language section
of our guides varies from 4 to 40 pages long, depending on the complexity of
the particular consumer electronics product.

Do you have any references, research, or personal experience on the following
questions:

1. Are users increasingly intimidated as the thickness of the manual increases?

We are unable to find any data on this factor isolated from the issues of cost
or complexity of instructions.

SUMMARY: yes, but no for "smaller" manuals or ones that were clearly including
other languages. Also use a jump start section, and 1-page-per-function format.

"It seems that way to me. We are attempting to reduce our paper documentation.
As we do so, it appears that more people read more of the documentation we do
provide. Of course, I'm talking about 130 pages vs. 40 pages. I'm not sure it
matters as much for documents that are 50-75 pages to begin with."

"My answer to your first question is YES!!! (But I guess if I were a user and
I realized that the manual's thickness stemmed from the inclusion of four
languages and I realized I had only to read one, that'd be fine!)"

"Users *are* intimidated by thickness. If your requirements are that it be
thick, have a "jump start" section, written in simple language, for the
impatient or those with reading limitations. If possible, use some sort of
color-coding for the jump start sections of each of your manuals. I now
document by functions: Creating this, updating that, transferring something
else. I've pretty well gotten it down to 1-page per function and my popularity
has increased greatly. (I currently document for in-house systems only.) My
documentation is referred to as "Daphne's Crib Notes" by the staff. It isn't
just intimidation, people are just *too busy* to do much reading."

2. How do users feel about having multi-language manuals?
Do they resent the presence of additional languages? Or do they view companies
who provide multi-language guides as international players (is there a
positive status)?

SUMMARY: no clear answer. Internationally, multi-languages more accepted.
Suggest using more graphics and clear separation of the languages.

"In Europe, this is standard. A Frenchman may be working in Denmark, and
prefers a French manual, even with a Danish product. The world software market
is now 50% outside of the USA, with about 80% in 1995-96. American companies
were very late to internationalize (it's usually "uh, if they want it, they
can read it in English. besides, everyone reads English anyway." wrong,
charlie. They read English for necessity, but prefer their own language.
sales will increase from 5% to 30% market share upon translation."

"I don't particularly care for multilanguage documents, because so far nobody'
s come up with a good way to isolate individual languages so the reader can
easily find his/her language and *stay with it*, that is, not accidentally
drift into another language, and therefore lose train of thought.

Multi-language is fine. Most people are aware of the international nature of
business. Generally, it's a neutral perception unless the user's govt happens
to be doing a bit of foreigner-bashing at the time."

"When we got our Digital VXT-2000 X terminals here, each came with six
installation manuals -- one each for six languages. I tossed the five I don't
use, and kept the English version. I really liked this solution."

"I respect any (small) document that is multi-lingual. But I respect a
document more if it seeks to avoid language barriers by being much more
graphic in orientation. Comic books have a reason for their popularity."

3. On a world-wide basis, do customers expect to receive manuals in their own
language in most countries? Are some languages also acceptable by customers in
certain other countries?

SUMMARY: importance of their own language, translation done well.

"Would you read a 400 page manual in French?"

"Europeans are used to having manuals in multiple languages, so I doubt if
they have a bias against them. I think Americans (US) might find it more
strange, and you'd have to do some research to find out if they find it
positive or negative. I know that the reason many European companies employ
native English speakers to write English language manuals is because Americans
perceive foreign-made things (software in particular; some products, if
foreign, have snob appeal) as being inferior. So the product has to look like
it is American, and improper English is a dead give away."

"As for whether people tolerate English rather than their native language, I
think that depends. For technical people in Scandinavia (i.e. Norway, Denmark,
Sweden), English is OK. Ditto for the Netherlands. But if the product is aimed
at your average consumer, you would want to translate into the native language.
The French have a reputation (Germans as well, although most technical people,
again, can read English) of always wanting documents in French. I don't know
about Italians, Spanish, etc."

"Yes, all customers expect manuals in their home language. A few European
readers (but not all audiences in the same country) feel comfortable in
related languages, and a yet smaller part of the Euro-readership feels
comfortable in languages of a neighboring country, though the language may not
be related. The more technical the information, the more desirable is reading
in the reader's home language."

"My two-cents worth about translations: The company I work for has our
English documentation translated into French, Italian, Spanish, German
initially, then Japanese and Russian if there's a need. I think it would be
safe to say that my company feels that users expect to receive manuals in
their own language."

"I think people do prefer to have instructions in their own language -- no
matter how well they may read other languages. It's always good business to be
polite, and writing in one's "Mother Tongue" is very polite. I once worked for
a U.K. owned company translating their technical manuals from "Brit-speak" to "
Murican" because their Marketing Dept had found that people in the U.S. wanted
documents in English U.S. style. It was also deemed less likely to result in
someone's misinterpreting the meaning of a word and causing damage to
equipment or to self."

NO HARD DATA CITED:
"I think you've sent your three questions to the wrong list server. We're all
technical writers here (maybe), and we want the same information as you do.
Our answers are highly suspect, unless one of us has done a true usability
study. But I'll answer the last two as though I were a user...."
"I don't have any hard evidence for you, only anecdotal..."
"I have only my experience, not a govt-funded study, but here goes."
"One of the manuals nominated for Best of Show during the STC's International
Technical Publications Competition this year was a multi-language manual. The
judges, though judging only the English, were thrilled with the approach! I
grant you, they're not users; they're fellow professional writers."

OTHER MISC. RESPONSES:
"I lived 15 years in Europe and speak four languages fluently. I read six
other languages. I work as a localizations manager (supervise translations of
products into other languages). I have translated/produced some 75 products
into other languages (practically every European language). it's a industry.
there are lots of resources, magazines, etc. let me know what you need (and
why) and I'll answer more questions."

"We have an on-site representative from the translation company with whom we
contract. She sees that everything runs smoothly."

"Please post your responses...I'm also interested in this subject for a
specific project. I tend to think the multi-language manual will receive a
lower rating for usability, but will be cost effective. Own experience is that
they are too thick, harder to find information in, and a bit intimidating. On
the other hand, they can be printed on thin paper to reduce bulk, can be
printed in large runs to reduce cost, and they reduce inventory and packaging
problems---same manual in every box. This latter item can be extremely
important."

"I find your questions interesting. Please post your findings to the techwr-l
list."

"'scuse the question, but what is `The Mountain'?" (Reply: "The Mountain" is
our actual mailing address. The Bose Corporate Headquarters is at the end of
Mountain Road, on the top of a small mountain with a wonderful view.)

Norma Shulman
Technical Writer
Bose Corporation, The Mountain, MS#15B, Framingham, MA 01701
normashulman -at- bose -dot- com