Re: Gender Reference

Subject: Re: Gender Reference
From: Anne Halseytechwriter <ach -at- TOMICHI -dot- STORTEK -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 25 May 1994 12:09:32 -0600

Regarding David Dubin's post about gender references:

You are going to have to deal with this if you are using
first person/present tense/active voice. Much of the time
you can get by with addressing the reader or user as implied
"you". However, when I need to be gender-specific,
I use s/he. Seems to be the least invasive, has
fewer keystrokes than (s)he, and in my experience is
readily understood ... at least for your typical (if there
is such a thing) English-speaking US audience.

Anyone else choosing this option?

Anne Halsey
sr tech writer, storagetek
anne_halsey -at- stortek -dot- com