Re: Abbreviation of State Names

Subject: Re: Abbreviation of State Names
From: SuePStewrt -at- AOL -dot- COM
Date: Tue, 24 May 1994 20:38:36 EDT

>>Names, for example, have short forms (William vs. Bill). In the USA, this
>>is a general convention. It has no force in any legal arena.<<

Sure it does. If you're named William and choose to use Bill to sign your
checks, Bill is as much a legal name as William. The name on my birth
certificate (and Social Security Card) is Susan, but I generally use "Sue"
and it's just as legal.

>>The Postal Servive's codes, however, are enforced: they will simply
>>return your mail if you don't use the codes. One must use a zip code.

Nope. You'll probably have slower delivery if you don't use a ZIP Code, but
they won't return your mail unless you leave off the postage, or omit BOTH
city/state AND ZIP Code (either one alone will generally get it there).

I'll repeat that I believe the old-fashioned abbreviations are no longer
"generally accepted" in this country. Everyone I know (including my
81-year-old mother, so we don't have to make this an age issue!) uses the
2-letter abbreviation. suepstewrt -at- aol -dot- com