Re: Time, Productivity and Tax Rates

Subject: Re: Time, Productivity and Tax Rates
From: Michael LaTorra <mikel -at- ACCUGRAPH -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 23 May 1994 09:41:49 MDT

Doug's reply to some of Barb's comments prompted me to opine
as well. First, here is one of Barb's statements followed
by Doug's comment, then my own.

***************
B: In the same vein, I also read an article about a company in Japan that went
to a completely automated shop. It kept its employees - they worked shifts of
about a day or two a month as security, maintenance, and other tasks that
haven't been automated. It's an interesting idea, but I never saw a follow-up
story - I've always been curious how it worked out.

D: That's sort of the realization of the great
liberal vision of the 1930's -- that our machines would do more and more of the
"grunt work" of day-to-day survival, leaving us with an ever-shrinking range of
tasks the machines couldn't perform, and the rest of our time for productive
leisure. As I think we're all acutely aware, that's not how it worked out, and
I think it's worth figuring out why not.