Re: Learning/researching phase of writing

Subject: Re: Learning/researching phase of writing
From: Karla McMaster <mcmaster%pcmail -dot- cti-pet -dot- com -at- CTI-PET -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 23 May 1994 08:12:06 EST

Text item: Text_1

I have a two-prong approach to the learning/researching phase...I _must_ work
with the product. (I refuse to stand by the quality of my manual if I can't
test drive the product...You can't take what anybody else says as gospel...They
almost always make some bad assumptions about user knowledge.) After working
with the product (usually while in development--before the beta stage (this
gives me a chance to comment on development, too)), I "interview" the developer
in the sense that I have a list of questions about what I've seen, and we go
over them. This is usually a reiterative process, as the product develops.
Hopefully, at the end, product and doc are close to each other. I've found this
process works well for me.

Karla McMaster, technical writer
CTI-PET Systems, Inc., Knoxville, TN
mcmaster -at- cti-pet -dot- com