Commas in a series

Subject: Commas in a series
From: Gary Mason <gmason -at- JMJM -dot- HQ -dot- ILEAF -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 18 May 1994 07:35:52 EDT

From a purely practical perspective as a reader (and an impatient one
at that), I find the use of the "final comma" extremely helpful.
Dependent upon what the final two list items are, there can be
substantial ambiguity regarding their being one compound item or two
simple items. The interruption of reading rhythm while trying to
interpret that point is reason enough for me to want to see the "final
comma" as a standard practice. Why make the reader guess?

Cheers...Gary

--
* Gary Mason - Sales Consultant - Interleaf, Inc. - Strategic Accounts Group *
* Voice:617/290-4990 X2100 FAX:617/290-4981,4985 Internet:gmason -at- ileaf -dot- com *