Re: ZIP Code:acronymous capitalization

Subject: Re: ZIP Code:acronymous capitalization
From: Mike Pope <mikep -at- ASYMETRIX -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 13 May 1994 11:28:00 PDT

>> Does anyone else out there capitalize ZIP Code?

>I generally capitalize it because it's actually an acronym ("zone
>improvement plan," if my memory's working today :-).

I remember reading a rule of thumb in Editor's Eye once that said if
you pronounce the acronym as a word, capitalize it as a word; if you
sound out the letters, captialize them. This definitely does not work
in some instances (GUI, BASIC, COBOL come to my mind, about
which I'm sure we could argue), but does in other
instances: laser, bit, other older terms. It's an idea, anyway.

-- Mike Pope
mikep -at- asymetrix -dot- com