Office space

Subject: Office space
From: "logendra (l.) naidoo" <naidoo -at- BNR -dot- CA>
Date: Thu, 12 May 1994 09:52:00 -0400

Hi.

Currently, I am working on a project designed to provide the writers in
my department with more office space.

The trend in technical writing seems to be a move towards more online
forms of documentation, more specialized desktop publishing (Frame,
Ventura, Adobe, and so on), and more computer applications to support
our profession (i.e. CD-ROM, e-mail apps, database apps, and so on).
That means more time at the workstation and more time in the cubicle.

As a writer, I can say that spacing in comparison to a few other
professions (not naming them) is in greater demand. My cubicle is the
same size as the programmer's cubicle next to me. All the writers in my
department (about 20) agree that using large masses of paper documents
is still essential to their job. I usually need extra space to spread
out the paper-based specs, research reports, dictionaries, my notes, and
the list goes on and on. My workstation takes up 40% of my office!

The bottom line: My cubicle is too small (I sound like Goldilocks).

How many writers on this list have encountered similar problems?
How do you work around these problems (if you do)?
What, in your opinion (don't be humble), is the ideal work environment
for a writer?
Would working at home solve your problem?

I'd like to hear your answers or comments. Of course, I'll post the
results (sine nomine) next week.

Look forward to hearing from you!

Logendra Naidoo <naidoo -at- nt -dot- com>
Information Developer
Northern Telecom
Ottawa, Ontario (Silicon Tundra)