Re: What to do on Sat. night/Weather?

Subject: Re: What to do on Sat. night/Weather?
From: Matt Abe <MATTA%county -dot- lmt -dot- mn -dot- org -at- HARVUNXW -dot- BITNET>
Date: Wed, 11 May 1994 13:38:25 CST

Linda:

You asked Mike:

> 1. How's the weather up there?

> 2. Are there any attractions or eateries that we should
> try to find?

The weather is beautiful this week, but I haven't heard the extended
forecast yet (too soon). "Beautiful" means mid-70s and sunny, but
a little windy. If I get ambitious and remember on Friday, I'll post
the extended forecast to the TECHWR-L list.

As for attractions...

I think Creation Conventions is hosting the big Star Trek Convention
on Saturday, in Minneapolis at the Convention Center.

Yes, check out Mall of America, so you can say you've been there and
done that.

Downtown Minneapolis is a nice place for walking around. The
Minnesota Twins are in town this weekend at the Dome.

Loring Park and the Walker Art Center are a short walk from the
Hyatt, Hotel Luxeford, and south Nicollet Mall area.

The Uptown area of Minneapolis is a short bus or cab ride from
downtown. This is were a lot of Minneapolitans go to play. Lake
Calhoun and Lake Harriet are in the neighborhood, as well as shopping
and lots of small, funky restaurants and bars. If you're in the mood
for a movie, go to the Uptown or Suburban World theaters. Our un-
suburban mall, Calhoun Square (not too big, not too Mall) is a
favorite for strolling around (they have a great bookstore there).

Pick up the alternative newspapers, City Pages and the Twin
Cities Reader, for more entertainment tips. The Minneapolis Star
Tribune also has a great Weekend section on Friday.

As for specific types of eateries, it depends on what you're in the
mood for. Quintessential Minneapolis?? Maybe Figlio, an Italian
institution in Uptown that could be called trendy, except it really
hasn't changed much in many years. Maybe Chez Bananas in the
Warehouse District downtown, a Carribean eatery with wind-up toys on
the tables. Maybe Murray's steakhouse on 7th between Hennepin and
Nicollet downtown, an old fashioned "dress- up" restaurant that
hasn't changed much in 50 years. Maybe the downtown venues Market
Barbeque, Sawatdee (Thai), Tejas, Palamino...

The Shinder's bookstore at 8th & Hennepin downtown has several out-of-
town daily newspapers.

BTW, I will not be able to make the Sunday reception. I will be
working on the Monday edition of the conference newsletter! :-(
I hope I'll see you around anyway! I will write my Internet address
on my badge for easy identification!

I challenge all Twin Cities subscribers to this list to add their
favorite spots to take someone from out of town.

See you in Minneapolis...

Matthew Abe Internet: matta -at- county -dot- lmt -dot- mn -dot- org
Documentation Group Leader
LaserMaster Corporation
7156 Shady Oak Road
Eden Prairie, MN 55344