Indexing Technical Documents Workshop

Subject: Indexing Technical Documents Workshop
From: Chuck Banks <chuck -at- ASL -dot- DL -dot- NEC -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 11 May 1994 13:15:53 CDT

For all TECHWR-L subscribers:

I am cross-posting the following announcement with the permission
of the author:

Date: Wed, 11 May 1994 09:53:38 ECT
Sender: Indexer's Discussion Group <INDEX-L%BINGVMB -dot- BITNET -at- uga -dot- cc -dot- uga -dot- edu>
From: Rosemary Simpson <skylark -at- world -dot- std -dot- com>
Subject: Technical manual indexing class
To: Multiple recipients of list INDEX-L <INDEX-L%BINGVMB -dot- BITNET -at- uga -dot- cc -dot- uga -dot- edu>

On Friday, May 20 in Cambridge MA I will be teaching a one-day overview workshop
on indexing technical manuals. The workshop includes:

* analysis of a "horribles" parade of published indexes

* using standard tools such as Word and Filemaker to create good indexes
for embedded environments - including MS Word and Framemaker

* using marketing materials in conjunction with the technical materials

* principles of developing a rich cross-reference web

* turning a cross-reference web into a hypertext

* managing the review process

We will be referring to Nancy Mulvany's new book "Indexing Books" and her
indexing chapter in the Chicago Manual of Style 14th Edition. An extensive
reference bibliography and a workbook is included in the course materials.

The sponsor is Editorial Services of New England, Inc. and the fee is $200.
Call ESI at 617-354-2828 for further information.

|\\ | || // Chuck Banks
| \\ | ||_______ || Senior Technical Writer
| \\ | || || NEC America, Inc.
| \\| \\______ \\______ E-Mail: chuck -at- asl -dot- dl -dot- nec -dot- com
America, Incorporated CompuServe: 72520,411
STC Mail: cbanks -at- talkdallas -dot- com