[no subject]

From: Gotlieb Carl R1478C <r1478c -at- TEMPECCPB -dot- SPS -dot- MOT -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 10 May 1994 15:18:49 MST

Dan said:

>I agree with Maria. "The program manager window displays." is like "The
>insurance policy cancels." I read these sentences and ask myself "WHAT does
>the window display?" and "WHAT does the policy cancel?" Both of these
>sentences contain transitive verbs. I then look for their objects and, not
>finding them, get frustrated.

Sounds like the old "Who's on first" routine:

Lou: "The program manager window displays."
Bud: "The program manager window displays?"
Lou: "That's right! Now you've got it!"
Bud: %-(

Wording which I've used--successfully I hope--is:

"Result: You will receive the program manager window."

Carl Gotlieb
r1478c -at- tempeccpb -dot- sps -dot- mot -dot- com
Phoenix, AZ