Substantive Editing

Subject: Substantive Editing
From: MIR <MIR -at- ZYCOR -dot- LGC -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 9 May 1994 16:55:00 LCL

Hi all,

I've just been asked to take Betty Turpin's place in heading up a
progression on "Strategies in Substantive Editing," which is to be held
Wednesday from 10:30 - 12 noon. (Betty is attending the conference, but
she's just received a teaching assignment and the first day of classes is
Wednesday.)

Betty has a terrific outline put together, and I'm sure we'll be able to
generate plenty of discussion from the topics she has listed. However, I'm
curious to find out what you would expect to learn from this progression.

Currently, my thoughts are to place the primary emphasis of this
discussion on:

o where substantive editing fits into the documentation process,
o who performs substantive editing vs. surface editing, and
o how to maintain needed control when editing online documents vs printed
documents.

If you have any thoughts on this subject that you think might be helpful
in ensuring that our discussions cover the main issues, please send them
along. I see at least one other person from the TechWriter List
(Ruth-Ellen Flanagan) is also giving a progression at this time. Anyone
else?

I'm looking forward to meeting you all at STC.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Mary Rio
Senior Technical Writer
Landmark Graphics
220 Foremost Drive
Austin, Texas 78745
email: mrio -at- zycor -dot- lgc -dot- com
fax: (512) 292-2220
Tel.: (512) 292-2238