space space

Subject: space space
From: Mark Levinson <mark -at- CRABAPPLE -dot- BITNET>
Date: Tue, 10 May 1994 11:06:38 IDT

Word processors and typesetting machines automatically put the correct
amount of space after periods

** I don't know how sophisticated today's typesetting machines get, but
I don't know of a word processor that implements any difference among
the three periods in a sentence like "That will be $5.98 please, Mr. Jones."

one of the reasons for using one space when using
space, but tucked in next to the last letter.

** I clicked through a few proportional fonts in Word For Windows, and
it doesn't seem to perform any such tucking. If anything, a period
placed between two letters seems a little closer to the right-hand one.

I know of no studies, but I have seen the "rule" about one space with

** A recent issue of U&lc magazine shows an example designed to
demonstrate that 1 space looks right and 2 look wrong. To me it
seems to demonstrate the opposite.
Mark L. Levinson | E-mail: mark -at- dcl-see -dot- co -dot- il
SEE Technologies Ltd. | Voice: +972-9-707102, ext. 230 (work),
Box 544 | +972-9-552411 (home)
46105 Herzlia, ISRAEL | Fax: +972-9-509118