mouse wrist rests do help

Subject: mouse wrist rests do help
From: Heather Lum <lum -at- MED -dot- PITT -dot- EDU>
Date: Mon, 9 May 1994 13:33:49 -0400

In my personal experience, mouse wrist rests do help alleviate wrist pain,
and "whole arm" pain like that caused by tendonitis. My mouse hand began to
bother me about 1.5 years ago. I've been using the Mouse Wrist Rest for a
little over a year, and I no longer experience pain. (Prior to Mouse Wrist
Rest, my wrist/arm was keeping me awake some nights.)

I still feel discomfort when I'm sloppy about my posture or arm position, but
things have improved considerably. Mouse Wrist Rest costs $24.95, and comes
in 1-inch or 1.5-inch heights. It is a plastic mouse pad with a fabric-covered
foam pillow at one end that sticks to the mouse pad with velcro. Order it
from AliMed Inc., whose toll-free number in the US & Canada is 1-800-225-2610.

Another tip: I'm fortunate to work for a company who provides its employees
with ergonomically designed workstations. My chair is fully adjustable; and
more important, so is my keyboard shelf. It can be tilted at any angle, and
because it's on an adjustable arm, I can set it to nearly any height. Beware
of keyboard trays that pull out from under the desk like a drawer -- these
are not usually adjustable, in IMO, lead to problems. If your employer doesn't
provide you with a comfortable workstation, push for one. Remind your boss that
the investment is worthwhile, and far less expensive than surgery you may
eventually need, or a workers' compensation suit.

Heather Lum
Technical Writer
Health Related Services, Inc.
Pittsburgh, PA