E-Primer

Subject: E-Primer
From: Jim Venis <ujv01 -at- EAGLE -dot- NETCOM -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 9 May 1994 09:57:18 MDT

Had trouble with our hardware last week. Hope you still find this useful:

> [...]
> > 'to be,' equals E-Prime."
> >
> > (As you know, forms of "to be" include "is," "are," "were," "was,"
> > "am," "be," "become," "been," and "being." Writers using E-Prime
> > also need to watch out for combination forms--"weren't," "it's,"
> > "aren't," and so on. Even "ain't" represents a form of "to be.")
> >
> > Why write in E-Prime? I can tell you from experience that you
> > may not find it easy! E-Prime helps writers to produce text that
> > readers find more clear, more vivid, and more quickly
> > understandable. Primarily, you can think of E-Prime as a writing
> > discipline that helps to reveal hidden assumptions behind
> > statements. Although E-Prime has stylistic effects, you shouldn't
> > think of it as a stylistic method. Think of it as a logic method.
> >
> > Moreover, E-Prime helps us to think in terms that general
> > semanticists call "multiordinal." They hold that the discipline of
> > E-Prime helps us to recognize the nature of our environment as a
> > continuum of greys, and not as a collection of blacks and whites.
> > They hold that we can use E-Prime to overcome what they call
> > "medieval" logic--sometimes referred to as Aristotelian logic.
> >

> > Five Suggestions for Working in E-Prime:
> >
> > 1. If you find it difficult to compose a sentence in E-Prime, refer to
> > the basic "silent level" experience and describe the actual event.
> >
> > Revise "This food is good." to "This food tastes good."
> >
> > 2. Take an "is" statement at a high level of abstraction/assumption
> > and bring it down to earth. Remove the assumptions and work
> > with what you have left.
> >
> > Revise "Joan is smart." to "Joan makes $100,000 per year."
> > Revise "Linda is helpful." to "Linda helped me."
> >
> > 3. Replace the "is" verb with an action verb.
> >
> > Revise "David is a doctor." to "David practices medicine." Revise
> > "He is a mechanic." to "He repairs cars."
> >
> > 4. Say what you mean.
> >
> > Revise "Is Lisa there?" to "May I speak with Lisa?"
> >
> > 5. Change the sentence from passive to active voice.
> >
> > Revise "It was done." to "Jack did it."
> >
> > If you get truly stymied, start over. Try writing an entirely
> > different--but more informative--E-Prime sentence or expression.
> >

> > Curious about general semantics?
> >
> > Most dictionaries define general semantics as a philosophy of
> > language that explores the relationship between the form of
> > language and its use, and that attempts to improve the
> > capacity to express ideas. As an ethical movement, we also
> > can say that general semantics seeks to improve the
> > communication between human beings and their
> > environments. The movement began with the 1933 publication
> > of "Science and Sanity" by Alfred Korzybski, a Polish engineer
> > turned linguist.
> >
> > Do not confuse general semantics with the branch of semiotics
> > called semantics. This semantics deals with the relationship
> > between signs and symbols and their meanings.
> >
> > Not all general semanticists use E-Prime.
> >

> > International Society for General Semantics

James S. (Jim) Venis | "I should not talk so much about myself
| if there were anybody else whom I knew
"Venis" rhymes with "Dennis." MERCI! | as well. Unfortunately, I am confined
| to this theme by the narrowness of my
ujv01 -at- eagle -dot- unidata -dot- com | experience." --Henry Thoreau
Any disclaimer you can IMAGINE applies.