Re: hardware needed for contractors

Subject: Re: hardware needed for contractors
From: "Arlen P. Walker" <arlen -dot- walker -at- JCI -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 5 May 1994 16:41:20 -0500

Doug asserts (holding Caryn between the stars):
>********************
>1) Does anyone have or know much about the Mac Power PC? Is
> it worth getting?
>**********************

>Put me down as a skeptic. First we heard "Will run Mac and PC programs" then
>"will run most Mac and PC programs" then "Will run most Mac and PC programs but
>you need a specially-written OS for optimum performance" and then...

*Will* run Mac programs. I use one daily. I moved up from a Mac IIcx with a
Radius Rocket accelerator in it. The PowerMac is more compatible than the
Rocket accelerator (some programs which broke when I installed the Rocket
will work on it). I have a parade of INITs (extensions) which take up more
than one full row across a 17" monitor. All of them function. I haven't run
across one program that won't function because of the PowerPC CPU. That
said, I've lost a few comic touches because of Apple's new Sound Manager
(Sound Manager 3.0) which ships on all Macs.

I've an 8100/80, and it runs my Motorola-based Mac software about 20%
faster (print monitor seems to be the exception to this) than my Radius
Rocket (subjective evaluation, not stopwatch-confirmed). Most high-end
graphics software is native now, so (for example) my work in Adobe
Photoshop is now speeded up by a factor of 10 (based on actual timings of
repeated operations). Microsoft still needs to get its collective head out
of its anatomy and make its applications native, but Word Perfect is
already there. Altogther, I've seen about 25 native applications (with
Director coming this summer) and commitments from many more.

PC software has always required a piece of non-Apple software (whoever said
otherwise was a bald-faced liar). There are three models of the PowerMac
which have this software bundled with it. It runs everything a 286-based PC
will run, at speeds approaching that of a 486SX. This software is supposed
to be updated by the end of the year to do a full-scale 486 emulation, with
no speed loss.

>I think Consumer Union's injunction on new products ("Never buy the initial
>release of anything" or words to that effect) applies here. My mind could be
>changed by someone reporting actual, down-and-dirty experience with using a
>wide variety of Mac and Windows apps on a daily basis, but until then, "caveat
>emptor."

Agree. It's just that I was told if I didn't upgrade now, it could be years
before I had the opportunity again. So I jumped. I haven't regretted it.

>***********************
>4) What about os/2? Is anyone finding a need to have that installed?

>While this will probably bring OS/2 fanatics out of the woodwork to hurl
>invective at me, my experience is that OS/2 is largely confined to a few niches
>(such as corporate applications development tools) and its share is fading
>even there. Unless you are planning to support such a niche, I wouldn't worry
>about it.

Have to toss a rock in this pond. OS/2 sales continue to grow. I know of no
corporate environment which has dropped it, once they've come up on it.
It's still a dark horse, but unless you need it for one of your current
markets, don't bother.

>*****************
>What would be a basic setup? What would be the like to have setup?
>*****************

I've a solid Mac bias here, so I'd plump for either the higher Performas
(476 and up) or one of the PowerMac line. Minimum of 12 Meg RAM, and
requirements are always going up; 16 isn't unreasonable. Monitor size 16"
minimum. Your eyes will thank you. And make it a Trinitron. Again, your
eyes will thank you.

You can never be too rich too thin or have too much disc space. Removables
are nice, but I'd look harder at the 128 (or 256) Meg small Magneto-Optical
units than bernoulli; they've got longer legs. Get an external unit, in
case you need to work with a service bureau -- you can bring the whole
drive in, instead of hoping you'll find a service bureau which has
something other than SyQuest.

>Two words on printers: Hewlett-Packard. They're reliable, they're
>state-of-the-art and they're universally supported. Shut up and pay the
>premium (I said this reflected my personal prejudices, didn't I?).

>If you print a great deal (for example: proofreading on paper) and have a heavy
>volume of business, go for one of those personal Laserjets. If volume is light
>and the budget is tight, think about an inkjet.

Amen, except the Apple Lasers are also simple, solid and sometimes cheaper
than HP.

Prices:
Street pricing on PowerMac 6100/60 with 250Meg HD, 16" Trinitron, 16Meg
Ram, CD-ROM (nicety now, but soon to be essential) 128 Meg MO will go about
$4200, give or take $200. Grab a DeskWriter or StyleWriter II for about
$350 and you're set.

Remember, these are *my* opinions. You get your own!

Have Fun,
Arlen

arlen -dot- walker -at- jci -dot- com
This mail message contains 100% recycled electrons