RTF format

Subject: RTF format
From: Chuck Martin <techwriter -at- VNET -dot- IBM -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 5 May 1994 16:49:17 PDT

Kay,

The RTF format is a published specification. You can get the specification
directly from Microsoft, as well as other sources, such as one of the
Microsoft forums on CompuServe, or local bulletin board systems that
feature Windows files, especially regarding Windows programming.

While I know nothing about Neuron Data, you need nothing more to
create Windows Help files than a word processor that can export in the
RTF format (writing a file in the actual format--a tagged text file--
would be like writing a document in PostScript) and the Help compiler.
Any other tools speed up the process.

I have used both Doc-To-Help and RoboHelp, both add-ons to Word for
Windows. I have seen a brochure for and am waiting for a demo disk of
a product called ForeHelp, which looks not only exciting, but
fantastically robust.

I have a copy of the RTF spec at home. Unfortunately, my computer there
is down (apparently Stacker 4.0 doesn't work well with DOS 6.2 and
trashed the boot sector of hard disks), so I can't offer it to you.
It's about 50 pages or so of the specification.

Chuck Martin
Information Developer, IBM
techwriter -at- vnet -dot- ibm -dot- com
techwriter -at- aol -dot- com
74170,2462 -at- compuserve -dot- com