Importance of Documentation

Subject: Importance of Documentation
From: MSTSACX -at- GSUVM1 -dot- BITNET
Date: Mon, 2 May 1994 10:55:12 EDT

From: Saul Carliner
*** Resending note of 05/02/94 09:25
Lori Lathrop noted the importance of a good index in finding information
and suggests that, if we had good indexes, perhaps people wouldn't need
support.

Although I agree with Lori that a good index is important, the sad fact is
that even if we have the best indexes in the world, people would choose to
call user support before they'd ever look in the manual, if the option was
available. That's human nature and seems to be borne out in studies of
computer users (although I have no specific cites).

The only way to wean people from technical support is by charging for the
calls (notice the 800 numbers and free support are being replaced by
toll calls and contracts for support) and making the wait times
ridiculous, just as the phone company used charging and wait times to
wean people from Directory Assistance a decade or so ago.

"
Saul Carliner Ph.D. Student
Instructional Technology Geo. State Univ.
Note new userid----> mstsacx -at- gsuvm1 -dot- gsu -dot- edu 404/892-3945