"Box Job" post update

Subject: "Box Job" post update
From: LaVonna Funkhouser <lffunkhouser -at- HALNET -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 29 Apr 1994 13:26:39 -0500

Re our discussion a month or so ago about those jobs that are
publicly posted but the hiring manager only really wanted to hire
someone internally (box jobs):

I posted a message saying that I had witnessed this used as a way
to give a coworker a raise. Well, I happened to be talking *candidly*
with this person (now a former coworker) the other evening, and she
told me that the posting was done entirely to help her obtain her
US citizenship, not as a way to give her a raise.

This told me 2 things: One, I learned another reason why this
tactic is used. Two, she was already earning a lot more than I was!

LaVonna
lffunkhouser -at- halnet -dot- com