Expensive Job Seminars

Subject: Expensive Job Seminars
From: Andreas Ramos <andreas -at- NETCOM -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 28 Apr 1994 15:20:39 -0700

On Thu, 28 Apr 1994, Bonni Graham wrote:

> I was woefully underpaid in my first job, but it's partly my fault. They
> asked me to name a salary. I was too new to the field to know what was
> reasonable, and I lowballed, figuring that was the best way to get the job.
> I found out much later that they would have been willing to pay up to *five
> thousand dollars a year* more than I asked for.

Bonnie makes my point on taking a job search seminar. She would have
learned the golden rule: the one who names the number first is the loser.
NEVER give a number: they may have been thinking higher (as in Bonnie's
case).
When I'm contracting material out to writers, I let them state the price.
There can be a wild disparity in numbers: some people are perfectly happy
to bid at $25/hour. I accept their bid: if they are happy to work at such
low fees, that's their issue. I save money and they got what they asked for.

Don't name the number. Let they say the number. If they press and ask
you, just say "let's hear what you had in mind". If they refuse to name a
number and throw the ball back to you, just say "I'd rather hear you
first." AND THEN JUST SIT THERE. Don't say a word. Just sit there.
There'll be a long silence, and they'll finally talk, because you've
already decided not to talk.

Believe me, this work.

yrs,
andreas