Re: Caps misunderstanding

Subject: Re: Caps misunderstanding
From: Jane_Torpie_at_III-HQ -at- PROTEON -dot- COM
Date: Thu, 28 Apr 1994 14:58:00 EST

Margaret Gerard writes:
I constantly get documents to edit in which the writer plays fast and
loose with initial caps. Any ideas as to why this is so?

My company bought a product that was developed mostly by German SmallTalk
software engineers. Most of the doc. was written by a woman whose first
language was German, second language was SmallTalk, and third language was
English. There were lots of "extra" initial caps in her documents.

I suppose that this happened because capitalization in mid-sentence or
mid-statement is much more common in German and ST than in English.

Jane Torpie
Principal Technical Writer
Easel Corporation
Burlington, MA, USA
617-221-2100
Jane_Torpie_at_III-HQ
JTorpie -at- EaselCor -dot- mhs -dot- compuserve -dot- com