Suggestions for Grad Course on Project Management

Subject: Suggestions for Grad Course on Project Management
From: Anatole Wilson <awilson -at- VNET -dot- IBM -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 27 Apr 1994 08:43:18 PDT

I'm note sure if this is exactly what you're aaasking for, but
Carnegie Mellon's Graduate Writing program has a Project Management course
called "Planning and Testing Documents" that I think was the most valuable
in the program. It had us take a project and
plan it out from beginning to end, including testing the documents after
they were finished.

The Pros: We learned how to plan out dates and resources with GANTT and PERT
charts, developed outlines, and learned to build usability testing into the
process. We actually got to do some real live usability testing, and rewrite
our documents according to the results of the tests. We also ended up with
some decent writing samples.

The Cons: We learned the dangers of spending too much time planning (especially
with those GANTT and PERT charts) and not leaving enough time for the doing.

Group management is such a big subject that it was covered in other courses,
which makes sense to me.

Anatole Wilson "We are all interested in the
Sr. Assoc. Information Developer future, for that is where you
IBM, Santa Teresa Labs and I will spend the rest of
our lives."
awilson -at- vnet -dot- ibm -dot- com --Griswell Predicts,
all company disclaimers apply "Plan 9 From Outer Space"