Sexist computing env's.

Subject: Sexist computing env's.
From: Pat Anderson <panderson -at- ALIAS -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 14 Apr 1994 21:45:32 -0400

Subject: Time: 8:34 PM
OFFICE MEMO Sexist computing env's. Date: 14/04/94
Dave Oberstadt wants some examples of computer environments making women
uncomfortable.

Here's one, Dave. Go with a female friend to a computer store. Let her go in
first. Follow her about 3 minutes later. Based on my experience, you'll get
served, and she'll still be waiting.

But how does sexism relate to writing?

About 60% of our software products are for design. One way to exclude a lot of
designers, and almost all women designers, is to write tutorials about
designing slick
cars, create marketing media showing slick cars, and give product demos
creating slick
cars.

I only know of one woman car designer -- and actually, she's still a student.

There are areas of design I can choose that are seemingly less masculine --
almost all
product design, in fact. Some people think jewellery and makeup package design
are feminine -- so if I want to throw in one of those, I balance it off with a
"masculine"
product.

All I can say is -- know your audience. Check out who is doing what with the
product.
Make sure the examples you use aren't alienating.

pat. anderson
team leader, documentation
Alias Research Inc.
panders -at- alias -dot- com