Re: CDROMS, FAQ's, and the law

Subject: Re: CDROMS, FAQ's, and the law
From: Andreas Ramos <andreas -at- NETCOM -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 11 Apr 1994 11:16:11 -0700

It was definitely a violation of copyright. However...
US copyright law favors those who register their copyright (ie., after i
finish this e-message, i have to send off a copyright registration form
and some money to the copyright office). If the Walnut Creek company then
pulishes my e-mail, i can then sue the
Walnut Creek company for the royalty which they didn't pay me, plus
damages (i think it's triple damages) and court costs (they pay for my
lawyer).
If I don't register, then i can only collect the royalties.
If these authors are members of the National Writer Union, or if they
join, then the union (NWU) will help them in bring such an action,
regardless of whether they have registered or not. The NWU is involved in
a long campaign of securing the copyright interests in the new medias,
such as databases, etc. Ziff-Davis pays authors for magazine articles
(first use), and then puts that material into its databases, which it
then resells. This is in violation of the contract (no provision for
second use or second publication).

yrs,
andreas
Andreas Ramos, M.A. Heidelberg Sacramento, California