Translations of Owner's Guides?

Subject: Translations of Owner's Guides?
From: Norma Shulman <Norma_Shulman -at- BOSE -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 8 Apr 1994 13:02:02 -0500

Date 4/8/94
Subject Translations of Owner's Gui
From Norma Shulman
To techwr-l

Subject:Translations of Owner's Guides? 4/8/94 12:52 PM
In the course of reviewing our owner's guides development process and format
issues, we are reviewing policy about translations. A single-language section
of our guides varies from 4 to 40 pages long, depending on the complexity of
the particular consumer electronics product.

Do you have any references, research, or personal experience on the following
questions:

1. Are users increasingly intimidated as the thickness of the manual increases?

We are unable to find any data on this factor isolated from the issues of cost
or complexity of instructions.

2. How do users feel about having multi-language manuals?
Do they resent the presence of additional languages? Or do they view companies
who provide multi-language guides as international players (is there a
positive status)?

3. On a world-wide basis, do customers expect to receive manuals in their own
language in most countries? Are some languages also acceptable by customers in
certain other countries?

Thank you.

Norma Shulman
Technical Writer
Bose Corporation, The Mountain, MS#15B, Framingham, MA 01701
normashulman -at- bose -dot- com