Table Formats & Indexing Requirements

Subject: Table Formats & Indexing Requirements
From: Pam Tatge <pamt -at- STEINBECK -dot- SC -dot- TI -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 7 Apr 1994 11:39:31 CDT

I need some information about two subjects:

o Table Formats

Does anyone know of any books or articles that discuss readable
table formats? I have one article--"Table Construction: Do's and
Don'ts", by Eva Dukes, from the March '89 issue of IEEE Transactions
on Professional Communications--and the Chicago Manual of Style has
some good examples of tables that IMHO are fairly readable. But, I
need information.

o Indexing Requirements

Supposedly, there's an IEEE standard for software users manuals that
says an index is mandatory for documents of 40 pages or longer. Does
anyone know *which* IEEE standard this is??

Thanks!
Pam Tatge, Member Group Technical Staff
Texas Instruments Semiconductor Group, Houston
pamt -at- steinbeck -dot- sc -dot- ti -dot- com