Looking for smart troff editor

Subject: Looking for smart troff editor
From: Fred Wersan <wersan -at- ZEUS -dot- MA30 -dot- BULL -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 28 Mar 1994 15:28:25 EST

Does anyone know of an editor that lets you edit troff files in their formatted
appearance, but saves them in troff format?

We have a bunch of troff files that we have to edit. If we open them as ASCII
files, we have to wade through the formatting codes to edit the text. If we
open them (in FrameMaker) so that they are formatted and readable, when we
save them, we lose the troff codes.

We've thought of some ugly workarounds, but a smart editor would be best.

Fred Wersan
Quest Engineering Solutions
Documentation Services
MA30/807