ti(d/t)bit

Subject: ti(d/t)bit
From: Jackie Elizabeth Wilson <jwilson -at- ACS -dot- UCALGARY -dot- CA>
Date: Wed, 9 Mar 1994 14:51:18 MST

Thanks for all your views concerning the word ti(d/t)bit. The
concensus seems to be that titbit has British origins. I am
English and had never heard the tidbit version until I came to
North America. My ancient Oxford dictionary claims that tidbit
is the American version of titbit and defines the latter as "a
choice bit of something." Whether "tit" refers to the bird
(bluetit, greytit, etc.), mouse (titmouse), teat (top of baby's
bottle) or nipple (slang) remains to be resolved. I'd be
interested to know ...

Jackie Wilson
jwilson -at- acs -dot- ucalgary -dot- ca