Re: Ideas for a proposal database?

Subject: Re: Ideas for a proposal database?
From: Robert Bononno <bononno -at- ACF2 -dot- NYU -dot- EDU>
Date: Sun, 6 Mar 1994 13:47:33 -0500

I may have answered a similar question before, but here goes. You can
probably use any Windows full-text search and retrieval software. I can
recommend a program called ISYS by Odyssey Development. They have both
DOS and Windows versions (both versions can share the same index files,
however). It can search something near two million files and you can
create multiple indexes in different directories. You can use a menu or
command line to enter search criteria. Supports Boolean operators, etc.
You can even set up a search tree if you like. It's around $400, I
believe and is very fast. I index about 25-30 MB worth of files in
different formats in about 40 minutes with ISYS. Search time is generally
under three seconds. Judging by your needs, this program would work for
you. ISYS currently can read the following formats: ASCII, WP5.1 and 6.0,
W4W, ZIP files, DB2 files (and some other spreadsheet files). It doesn't
currently support Pagemaker or Framemaker files.

Robert Bononno

bononno -at- acf2 -dot- nyu -dot- edu