no-smoking or non-smoking

Subject: no-smoking or non-smoking
From: Matthew Wong <wong -at- ACEC -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 4 Mar 1994 13:04:34 PST

Dear Listees,

I'm writing a manual that requires me to address a hotel room in which the
guest is not permitted to smoke. Now, should I address this room as:

(a) non-smoking room or (b) no-smoking room.

I prefer the latter becuase a non-smoking room seems to describe a room
that is not smoking rather than a room in which smoking is not permitted. I
may be wrong.

Thanks,

Matthew (wong -at- acec -dot- com)