How much do you have to know?

Subject: How much do you have to know?
From: Steve Fouts <sfouts -at- ELLISON -dot- SC -dot- TI -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 3 Mar 1994 13:33:52 CST

Andreas Ramos writes:
|} Of course! I would say that the only criteria for being a techwriter is
|} being able to communicate to a non-user what a product can do.
|} I don't think it's necessary to understand programming, electronics, etc.

Got to be careful there. While you don't have to have a complete
understanding of an internal combustion engine to teach someone how
to drive, the person who writes the owner's manual for the car had
better know a bit more about what goes on under the hood than where
to put the oil...

/ ___ __/__\ \ / / _\ Steve Fouts
/___ \| | ___\ | / __\ sfouts -at- ellison -dot- ti -dot- com
/_______/__|_______\_/________\ "Read over your compositions and, when you
meet a passage which you think is particularly fine, strike it out"
-- Samuel Johnson