Re: Re[2]: Want Ads

Subject: Re: Re[2]: Want Ads
From: Steve Fouts <sfouts -at- ELLISON -dot- SC -dot- TI -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 3 Mar 1994 08:49:17 CST

Bonni Graham says:

|} I'd like to see the insistence on knowing a particular piece of word
|} processing or desktop publishing software go away for everything except
|} temporary positions (where you really do have to be able to be up and
|} running fast). OTOH, employers are justified in asking a programmer to
|} know a particular programming language -- is it parallel? What do
|} the rest of you think?
|}

Depends on the software. We almost always state that Interleaf experience
is a plus, because Interleaf is an incredibly powerful tool and you don't
become a power user overnight. I've been using it for four years
now and I'm still learning. So, yeah, if you have experience with Interleaf,
you can hit the ground running here. If you know PageMaker, FrameMaker,
Quark, and Word upside down, inside out, and backwards, we're still going to
have to train you for a while, and that is a while that you won't be very
productive.

It depends though. If you know Digital Signal Processors and semiconductors
like the back of your hand and have a B.A. in English as well, we might be
willing to let you write your books on an envelope and hire a formatter for
you that knows Interleaf <grin>. I'll let you know what we do if we ever
get an applicant like that.

/ ___ __/__\ \ / / _\ Steve Fouts
/___ \| | ___\ | / __\ sfouts -at- ellison -dot- ti -dot- com
/_______/__|_______\_/________\ "Read over your compositions and, when you
meet a passage which you think is particularly fine, strike it out"
-- Samuel Johnson