Copyrights and STC Newsletters

Subject: Copyrights and STC Newsletters
From: MSTSACX -at- GSUVM1 -dot- BITNET
Date: Wed, 16 Feb 1994 00:20:45 EST

Someone recently asked me to re-post the STC policy on reprinting material
from this list in STC chapter newsletters.

Copyright laws are unclear about whether material posted on a list, like
this one, is in the public domain or not. To be safe, STC chapter
newsletters should not republish material from this list (or any other
list) without the written permission of the person who posted the
material.

This is also a courtesy. In many instances, a post to this list has a
context that is lost in publication. The person who wrote the post should
have an opportunity to edit it before it is published in the newsletter.

Similarly, all STC publications are copyright. Because this list is not
owned by STC, we should request permission to reprint material from STC
publications before posting it to the list.
"
Saul Carliner, Second Vice-President (Chapter Affairs)
Society for Technical Communication
Note new userid----> mstsacx -at- gsuvm1 -dot- gsu -dot- edu 404/892-3945