Re: List changes

Subject: Re: List changes
From: Faith Weber <weber -at- EASI -dot- ENET -dot- DEC -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 14 Feb 1994 12:19:43 PST

Those who object to the change in default reply-to
address have some valid reasons. However, I personally
prefer that the reply-to address is that of the sender.

I wish I felt comfortable spending time reading
all the messages on TECHWR-L, but I don't. The volume is
often huge, and (on some days at least) I think it does
take a significant amount of time for me to delete until
I get down to a manageable number of messages. I often wonder
what *I'm* missing because I feel I have to delete a lot of
messages based only on the subject heading, which is not
always a reliable indicator of subject. I miss items of
interest this way, but I work for a small company and am
always swamped with work, so I have very little time to spend
reading lists.

For that reason, I *like* the idea that we have to think
twice before sending to the entire list. I do that anyway
because I tend to assume everyone is very busy and doesn't
want to hear just any related thought that crosses my mind.
Some seem to take this personally and therefore find it kind
of offensive, but I feel it's just like any other communication:
it's more effective if you don't get mired down in unnecessary
detail, discussion, etc. I don't think anyone's uninterested
in anyone else's comments, it's just that we're busy and
want to ensure that we stick to the meaty stuff. Yes, some stuff
may get lost. For me, it does anyway because I have to delete
a lot of messages sight-unseen, as I mentioned.

I vote that we try the list with Eric's modifications for a
while, at least a month or so, and see if it really does seem
to have a detrimental effect on the information provided by
the list. Let's not decide based on only a few hours' worth of
data!

Faith Weber
EA Systems Inc.
weber -at- easi -dot- enet -dot- dec -dot- com