Re: luminous vs. light as adjectives

Subject: Re: luminous vs. light as adjectives
From: Paul David Marvel <marvel -at- BRAHMS -dot- UDEL -dot- EDU>
Date: Sun, 13 Feb 1994 12:47:07 -0500

Robert:

Yeah, I see the problem with the logic, but I think I've found a
dog that hunts.

In physics, the words on this list which have luminous in the
English gloss refer to brightness of visible light. For example,
the total rate of energy coming from an EM source is its radiant
flux, measured in watts. The part that's in the visible spectrum
is its luminous flux, measured in lumens. The other terms work
the same way. This should also account for the photon in your

I don't know enough technical French vocabulary to confirm or
deny so let me know if plan B works with terms not on this list.
If it does, I think we can call luminous a modifier.

Paul D. Marvel
marvel -at- brahms -dot- udel -dot- edu