Re: truck-flattened smiley

Subject: Re: truck-flattened smiley
From: Mark Hagen <mahagen -at- MTU -dot- EDU>
Date: Fri, 11 Feb 1994 13:51:20 -0500

LaVonna,

You are right in pointing out that there should be ways to show nonverbal
communication. Unfortunately, this medium of communication tends to be
limiting in that respect. I don't like smileys much, probably because I
associate them with a "cute" attitude which I don't usually like to
associate with computers. Before smileys were prominant, though, I recall
using the <gr> to denote a "grin". Anybody out there got any other
non-smiley nonverbal cues?

Mark A. Hagen
Humanities Department
Michigan Technological University