Those Ubiquitous Smileys

Subject: Those Ubiquitous Smileys
From: Kim Ballard <ballardk -at- MACE -dot- CC -dot- PURDUE -dot- EDU>
Date: Thu, 10 Feb 1994 03:10:31 EST

Someone asked for smileys, so I thought I'd forward this file, which
seem to have tons. Delete now if you're not in the least bit
interested. A good friend of mine (at least she was before I forwarded
this file ;-) } just sent me this list of smileys. I accidentally
wiped out the last few smileys she'd posted as I edited this post for
forwarding, but note the information about getting even more smileys.

Kim Ballard

'Linda Haynes' writes in an earlier message

> I found this list in Welcome to...INTERNET: From Mystery to Mastery
>by Tom Badgett and Corey Sandler. This list was compiled by Clay Spinuzzi
> (spinuzzi -at- gab -dot- unt -dot- edu).
> To get even more Remotion faces use ftp to retrieve the file
> EMOTICON.TXT in the directory /pub/misc at mercury.unt.edu.

> The basic faces are easy:

> :-) Your basic smiley. This smiley is used to inflect a sarcastic
or joking statement since we can't hear voice inflection over Unix.
> ;-) Winky smiley. User just made a flirtatious and/or sarcastic
remark. More of a "don't hit me for what I just said" smiley.
> :-( Frowning smiley. User did not like that last statement or is
upset or depressed about something.
> :-I Indifferent smiley. Better than a Frowning smiley but not
quite as good as a happy smiley.
> :-> User just made a really biting sarcastic remark.
> >:-> User just made a really devilish remark.
> >;-> Winky and devil combined. A very lewd remark was just made.

> Get it? You can combine characters to get even more emotions across
to your internet friends (and foes).

--
Kim Ballard
Purdue University