Re: Respect (or Political Correctness?)

Subject: Re: Respect (or Political Correctness?)
From: Vicki Rosenzweig <murphy!acmcr!vr -at- UUNET -dot- UU -dot- NET>
Date: Wed, 9 Feb 1994 14:38:08 EST

Paul,

What you're worried about is not what Tammy is advocating.
Your worst-case scenario would lead to people saying nasty
things, but only in certain ways and to certain people. What
Tammy is advocating, as I read her posts, is simply that we not
throw mud at each other (including such gratuitous name-calling
as "PC clone"--whatever I am, I am _not_ a cheap knock-off of an
IBM computer, and neither is any other human being) or pick
pointless nits.

This is a technical communication mailing list. I think we
can all agree that technical communication is a subset or
form of communication. Bringing in irrelevant and incendiary
political issues is not going to communicate anything, except
possibly that you're annoyed. It's probably even worse for
the atmosphere around here than endlessly dissecting each others'
typos.

How about a nice, juicy discussion of appropriate levels
and assumptions for Unix manuals?

Vicki Rosenzweig
vr%acmcr -dot- uucp -at- murphy -dot- com
New York, NY