Indexing information

Subject: Indexing information
From: LaVonna Funkhouser <lffunkhouser -at- HALNET -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 9 Feb 1994 13:32:06 -0600

Friends (especially indexers),
I know we have discussed indexing in the past, but
before today I did not know that *my* management was
interested in improving our indexing skills. Please
forgive me if I restart an old thread. I have several
basic questions to get started:

1. How can I retrieve our past messages by their topics?
Example: retrieving all messages with "Indexing" in the
subject line or body

2.a. What is the professional society for indexers?
b. How much are dues?
c. What address do I (or a coworker) use to join?
d. Could you fax me a membership application?
e. What is the journal for this society?
f. Is the journal useful for beginners?

3. What publications (or other resources) are available to help
writers improve their indexes?

4. If you have any golden rules for indexing manuals, what
are they?

5. If a department is interested in improving the indexes
associated with its manuals, what type of training or course
of action do you recommend? (classes, seminar taught by
a prof. indexer, hiring a prof. indexer, learning indexing
software, other)

I am grateful for any information. Don't feel you have
to answer all my questions. You may respond to me at
lffunkhouser -at- halnet -dot- com
or you may post to the list if you feel that others are
interested in the topic.

Thanks.

LaVonna Funkhouser
lffunkhouser -at- halnet -dot- com