Modern Language Association

Subject: Modern Language Association
From: Matthew Wong <wong -at- ACEC -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 9 Feb 1994 10:27:17 PST

Dear Listees,

The purpose of this note is to learn about your experience with the Modern
Language Association (MLA) in regard to jobs outside academia.

Like some of you, I was once an English major in graduate school. One of
the things you must do here is to join the MLA (I'm still a member), which
serves as a clearing house for positions offered by colleges and universities
in the U.S. In the last 10 years, the number of tenure-track positions seems
to be waning, while the number of English MAs and PHDs have remained
constant. ( I talked to a friend of mine who is a faculty member in the
English department at a liberal arts college. He said that the school
received over 1500 applications for a tenure-track position.)

My point is that I don't believe the MLA does a good job in helping its
members find opportunities outside academia. In addition, I don't think
MLA has impressed upon its student members the bleak opportunities in
getting jobs in academia. Also could someone enlighten me about the
relationship (formal or informal) between STC and MLA, and what the two
are doing together to help these students.

Regards,

Matthew (wong -at- acec -dot- com)