Respect

Subject: Respect
From: Tammy Williams <Tammy_Williams -at- OCLC -dot- ORG>
Date: Wed, 9 Feb 1994 09:01:50 -0500

Message:
Let me clarify my previous message. I am sorry Chad left the
list because he felt he was "out of his league." This list is a
forum for educating people about writing. I see the Chad issue as
small issue. I see a larger problem--lack of respect.
I almost unsubscribed from the list during my first few weeks
as a participant because I received a personal attack from another
user when I told him I didn't have time to discuss the use of
"African-American" with him. He said I was shallow and closed minded.
I'm not saying that what any of you said to Chad was an attack.
What I am saying is we should remember we are talking to other
PEOPLE. I am a person. My beliefs may differ from yours, but I
hurt just like you. Let's try to respect each other!!!
I saw an earlier message that used the cliche, "if you can't
stand the heat [stay out of the kitchen]." My response is a cliche
many of you probably were taught as children: "if you can't say
anything nice, don't say anything at all!!!"
Tammy Williams
williams -at- oclc -dot- org