Re: Defining Tutorial etc.

Subject: Re: Defining Tutorial etc.
From: Shannon Ford <shannon -at- UNIFACE -dot- NL>
Date: Tue, 8 Feb 1994 09:25:13 +0100

I think I didn't make myself clear (surprise surprise):

How do we decide where to put different kinds of information now that we
have online help and online books in their various forms? It used to be
straightforward: tasks in user guides and complete descriptions in reference
guides.

Now, we are duplicating information to a greater extent, because online help
duplicates the information found in the manuals, and online books duplicate
the information found in both online help and manuals. Yes, the goal of the
reader of each type of documentation is different, and the formats are
different, and the completeness of the information is different, but you
are still working over the same facts.

Is all this duplication necessary? How do we maintain it? If it isn't necessary,
do we need to rethink what kinds of documents serve which purposes?

Thanks, Peg, for the information on your project. We are also looking at EBT.
I'm sure that we could make SGML work for an online book, but could we
also use the same tagged text for our online help files? I know it is
theoretically possible with SGML; that is one of its selling points. But
I'd like to see a concrete example. To get my mind around it. I think seeing
an example would also help me see how to write the text as well.

Cheers,
Shannon
fords -at- uniface -dot- nl