Re: While we're on the topic of words . . .

Subject: Re: While we're on the topic of words . . .
From: Gary Dettmers <garyd -at- TEKELEC -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 4 Feb 1994 16:36:31 -0600

Picky Peg wrote:

> I must be a purist, because I still have a problem with, "prioritize" -
> is it just me?

It could be all of us Peg. It seems everyone has their own pet peeve(s) about
using the English language. We can't change the world, but we can change
ourselves. If someone points out to me that I've garbled a sentence, or that
I've slaughtered a noun as malapropos, then all I can do is chalk it all up
to imperfection. Hopefully, I'll learn something from it and do better the
next time.

BTW, I checked two dictionaries. The word, "prioritize", is listed in both of
them. Webster's II does state the following on usage:

"Many condemn the use of _prioritize_ on the grounds that it is jargon, but
in recent times it has become firmly established in English at all levels of
speech and writing."

Gary Dettmers | |
Sr. Technical Writer | My opinions are just that, mine! |
Tekelec | Do not confuse them as Tekelec |
garyd -at- mailhost -dot- oh -dot- tekelec -dot- com | policy. |