Re: What to say to people who LIKE the passive voice (fwd)

Subject: Re: What to say to people who LIKE the passive voice (fwd)
From: Shannon Ford <shannon -at- UNIFACE -dot- NL>
Date: Thu, 3 Feb 1994 10:57:47 +0100

Hi Melody,

Most people would admit that the passive voice has its place, as does
third person.

But the active voice is, well, more active: snappier, more lively, more
interesting. Perhaps we all associate third person passive writing with
`official-ese', in which we try to make ordinary opinions or observations
sound important and objective and erudite by using third person and
passive voice constructions. We have a kind of knee-jerk reaction to it.

I like the book _Revising Prose_, by R. A. Lanham. He approaches the
subject by talking of `lard factors' in these kind of sentances. A very
entertaining approach.

BTW, Cal Poly is my Alma Mater. I can remember your name but never had any
classes with you...

Regards,

Shannon Ford