Re: Pronouncing "gigabyte"; TAKE A STAND!

Subject: Re: Pronouncing "gigabyte"; TAKE A STAND!
From: Mark Hagen <mahagen -at- MTU -dot- EDU>
Date: Wed, 2 Feb 1994 11:39:39 -0500

Seems to me that how you pronounce gigabyte is something which comes to you
by way of your contextual experiences. Using a dictionary to determine a
"correct" pronunciation is offering a "de juro" solution to a "de facto"
situation. Just remember, though, if you don't want me to laugh in your
face, don't ever walk up to me and say "jigabyte", it just isn't said that
way in the circles in which I live and work.

- Mark

Mark A. Hagen
Humanities Department
Michigan Technological University