Re[2]: STC competition judges with a usability bent

Subject: Re[2]: STC competition judges with a usability bent
From: Bonni_Graham_at_Enfin-SD -at- PROTEON -dot- COM
Date: Tue, 1 Feb 1994 14:33:00 EST

Brian
"Are there any organizations that have usability competitions for manuals?

I've always thought it was funny that I could have an award-winning manual,
but the judge is judging the manual by itself, not with the product it's
supposed to document.

What if I forgot to warn the user about a life-threatening situation in my
award-winning manual?"

Good point. Also what about docs like mine that are interdependent with the
online help?

There aren't any competitions of this sort that I know about, but maybe it's
time...

Of course, you could only judge if you HAVE the appropriate hardware. Any
thoughts, netters?

Bonni Graham |
Technical Writer | Most software is run by
Easel Corporation, ENFIN Technology Lab | confused users acting on
Bonni_Graham_at_Enfin-SD -at- relay -dot- proteon -dot- com | incorrect and incomplete
President, San Diego STC | information, doing things
| the designer never expected.
NOTE: apparently my email address needs |
to be typed exactly as it appears here, | --Paul Heckel, quoted
punctuation and all, or the system gets | by William Horton
upset. |