Re[3]: Telecommuting

Subject: Re[3]: Telecommuting
From: Bonni_Graham_at_Enfin-SD -at- PROTEON -dot- COM
Date: Tue, 1 Feb 1994 10:30:00 EST

J. Leer writes:

I have found very few companies willing to permit telecommuting
(or off-site contracting in my case).

I think(g) that their reluctance will change soon (at least as far as off-site
contracting is concerned). The IRS is planning to crack down significantly on
employers who keep only "contract" employees so they (the employers) don't have
to have to pay benefits. How the IRS is doing that is to more narrowly define
who is an employee. I have a list of the twenty points they look at, if anyone
is interested in me typing them up and posting them. The gist is, one of the
biggies the IRS looks at is whether the employee/contractor is on or off site.
Off site a majority of the time, in the mind(?) of the IRS, equals "contractor",
onsite=employee. In fact, most of my contracting clients INSIST that I work
off-site...

Bonni Graham |
Technical Writer | Most software is run by
Easel Corporation, ENFIN Technology Lab | confused users acting on
Bonni_Graham_at_Enfin-SD -at- relay -dot- proteon -dot- com | incorrect and incomplete
President, San Diego STC | information, doing things
| the designer never expected.
NOTE: apparently my email address needs |
to be typed exactly as it appears here, | --Paul Heckel, quoted
punctuation and all, or the system gets | by William Horton
upset. |