Re: Origin of the AT Symbol

Subject: Re: Origin of the AT Symbol
From: Steve Fouts <sfouts -at- ELLISON -dot- SC -dot- TI -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 1 Feb 1994 08:13:06 CST

Sue Gallagher writes:

|}
|} <snip>
|}
|} ... wondered if there was a technical name for the At symbol "@". It is
|} variously defined in dictionaries as "at" or "each" and I've spoken to some
|} people who know it as the "per" symbol.
|} <snip again>
|} I just wanted to confirm that it is only called an "At symbol" before I
|} distribute my user docs to hundreds of people.
|}
|}
|} I've heard some programmers refer to it as the "commercial
|} at symbol", but never anything far removed from "at"
|}

The ANSI/CCIT official name for this character is "commercial at" but
"at sign" is by far the most common usage.

Source: THE JARGON FILE, VERSION 2.9.12

Cheers,
/ ___ __/__\ \ / / _\ Steve Fouts
/___ \| | ___\ | / __\ sfouts -at- ellison -dot- ti -dot- com
/_______/__|_______\_/________\ When I use a word, it means just what I
choose it to mean--neither more nor less. -- Lewis Carroll