Re: Job Descriptions

Subject: Re: Job Descriptions
From: "Tamye Lyles, Technical Writer--Martin Marietta Services Inc., 301 794-9600 x151" <tjl743c -at- VX740 -dot- DNET -dot- NASA -dot- GOV>
Date: Wed, 29 Dec 1993 14:43:49 -0500

John,

I think it's becoming a little of both. You do need to be somewhat more up on
the tools of the trade and how to use them to get your job done with a minimum
of flying fur.

However, the computer's maintainence, repairs, etc. (in my opinion) are really
someone else's domain. If it's more than modifying my autoexec file and
involves taking the case off of the computer, then as far as I'm concerned,
it's someone else's problem to fix. Training, to some degree, is also in this
category. There needs to be someone who is competent to ask about software
problems and computer glitches.

Some of these things can be done by a manager who has the time, experience, and
patience to work with his/her people and the software. Unfortunately, managing
is only one of the hats that most managers wear, and they are often tasked with
a multitude of other things that keeps them from working with their group and
doing management stuff. In that case, another person needs to be the
computer/software guru.

Just my 2 cents.

Tamye Lyles