Building Online Tutorials

Subject: Building Online Tutorials
From: Steve Owens <uso01%eagle -at- UNIDATA -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 27 Dec 1993 11:58:49 +0700

Jim Regan asks:
> I'm in the process of doing some upfront planning for an online
> tutorial similiar in structure to those provided in many of
> Microsoft's current Windows 3.1 product offerings.

> Are there any particular's one needs to be aware of beyond using
> Microsoft's Windows help compiler and WIN.HLP facilities?

This has been discussed a bit in the past here... I was preparing
to create some tutorials for use with MS-Windows, so I dug up several
files suggested by others. Since that project has been rescheduled,
I haven't done more than skim the files, but you may find them useful:

The following files were found in the archive maintained by
CICA (Center for Innovative Computer Applications) at
ftp.cica.indiana.edu [129.79.20.17]:

hag.zip 930210 Windows Help Authoring System (get whag.zip too)
whag.zip 930210 Windows Help Authoring System (get hag.zip too)
wfwhlp.zip 921204 Info on Constructing Windows Help Files

Note:
Ftp activity at CICA is relentless: Approximately 48,000 logins per
month (or, an average of 1,625 ftp logins that fetch over one gigabyte
of data per day). Therefore users who access this site are URGED to
do so during the non-load hours of 7pm to 7am Eastern Standard Time.
(Eastern Standard is Greenwich Mean Time -5 hours.) Abuse of the
system during load hours will not be tolerated.

The following files were found at the archive maintained at gatekeeper
(gatekeeper.dec.com [16.1.0.2]).

92.12.03 16:00 24k pub/micro/msdos/win3/programr/wfwhlp.zip
93.02.10 15:33 591k pub/micro/msdos/win3/programr/hag.zip
93.02.10 15:25 539k pub/micro/msdos/win3/programr/whag.zip

Note:
Gatekeeper also gets a lot of activity, but I don't have any notes from
them handy, so wing it... hag.zip and whag.zip appear to be nearly
identical; I don't know if there's any difference.

Steven J. Owens
uso01 -at- unidata -dot- com